Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cupcakery Trial #1



In preparation for our girls' trip we had laid out plans to go to the local Cupcakery (Luli's) and the more I thought about them the more I wanted to make some cupcakes NOW! I haven't made cakes in a while, it's been pies and cookies around here. So I decided to try my hand at cupcakes (making them all pretty and presentable). I am not anywhere near being ready to open a cupcakery but I think for 1 yr old parties (a duty of being a mom, right?!) they'll be fine!
I used this cake recipe (I 1/3'd it and it made exactly 12 cupcakes-- DO NOT OVERBAKE! I think about 12-15 min would be perfect) and this icing recipe--sub'ing almond extract for the vanilla...it was mighty tasty! (I kind of actually mixed it with the Hershey's perfect chocolate frosting...)

Icing:
Fluffy Chocolate Buttercream:
Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/4-1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

No comments: