Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quick, Easy Stuffed Peppers

Last week we had a very simple meal I forgot to post about, mainly b/c I didn't have a photo for you. GASP! I know. BUT Martha and MaryAnn both do, so you can look at theirs. I didn't follow either recipe, just used the photos to inspire me.
The basic concept is black beans, rice, some seasonings-mix, stuff, bake. Done.

I opted for the easy way out and used my usual beans n rice option:
I cooked per the directions on the box, then in addition I mix in:
1 14 oz can corn, drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained well
1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 c shredded pepper-jack cheese (I did this to make it more cohesive for the stuffing, but I don't normally if we're using this mixture for nachos or burritos or something)

Stuffed it into the peppers, placed in a foil-lined loaf pan, topped with shredded pepper-jack cheese. Baked at 375F til they were done. The only thing I might have changed was to add some lean ground beef (cooked of course) for senor. He as a little sad looking eating his extremely vegetarian-friendly meal. I also think I'd cover the peppers for a while (without the cheese) and cook so the peppers were more tender, then remove the foil and top with cheese, con't baking.
Either way, super easy. Quick and allows for leftover beans n' rice nachos on day 2 (if you're only making 2 peppers like us).

1 comment:

Linds and Allen said...

Made this after seeing you whip it up the other night while still holding down a normal conversation with me. I figured it was on my level. I added ground beef and baked the peppers in tomato sauce and it was delish. Even the 2nd day (I stuffed 4 peppers).