Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Summer Sandwiches and Fruit Parfaits w/Granola

We used the left over turkey for Summer Sandwiches last night. I also had a serious craving for oatmeal with cinnamon/sugar flavor so I tried my hand at homemade granola--sort of.

I then decided to throw the "granola" into some glasses with some plain yogurt and whipped cream, some fruit. Voila! Perfect dessert!

Senor gave the meal 2 thumbs up and a pat on the belly (his, not mine) which is to say "que bueno".

Summer Sandwiches:
Preheat oven to 350F, line a cookie sheet with foil. Toast bread if desired first. Then...

Lay out 2 pieces of pumpernickel rye bread (I found this from Pepperidge Farms at Publix)

slather one side of sandwich with Zaxby's sauce (or thousand island dressing, Russian dressing, etc)

Add desired amt of turkey over sauce (I would recommend using oven roasted turkey from the deli if you don't happen to have leftover roasted turkey, I mean, I know most of us usually do, but just in case...)

Top turkey with THINLY sliced granny smith apples, yum! Are you feelin' the summer love yet?

Then add on MORE love with sliced Brie (or in this case Butterkase cheese--our cheese dept at Kroger is lame)

Bake in the oven for about 10 min, or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Remove from oven, top with thinly chopped spinach. Serve open faced.

GRANOLA:
This is what I did, adjust it to your liking. I think it's pretty tasty personally. Can't keep my hand out of the leftovers! And tossed it on a smoothie this morning...MMmmmmmm.

3/4 c coarsely chopped nuts (I used 1/2 c pecans, 1/4 almonds--just random)
1 c old-fashioned oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp honey
1/4-1/2 c sugar
Optional add-ins: craisins, raisins, coconut shredded

1. In a large mixing bowl mix together nuts, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. In large non-stick skillet heat and metl butter over med hi. Add in vanilla, sugars and honey. Stir to mix. Allow sugar to begin to melt and bubble. When it begins to bubble stir in oats mixture, con't stirring for 1-2 min or until it begins to look crumbly and stick together.
3. Remove from heat, spread out on an aluminum-lined cookie sheet (sprayed) and allow to cool. Break into pieces. Keep refrigerated--it will last for a few weeks.

For Parfaits:

I layered granola, whipped cream, banana, plain yogurt, granola, blackberries, plain yogurt, granola, mangoes, whipped cream and granola...But you can do whatever your heart's desire! It will taste lovely and light on a late-Indian summer evening!

No comments: