This soup was so ridiculously easy and delicious! I made it in less than 20 min, no joke. I ran across the recipe in "Weight Watchers: Down to Earth" magazine (pg 14??) and thought "sounds too easy to be good", so it was placed on the back burner. Then, as I was making the October calendar I decided to try it out since I'm looking for easier, quicker dinners. I did alter it a bit and will go into that at the end. It was a great meal this evening as it's below 55F outside! I would say it's comparable to the minestrone I LOVE but without all the fuss!
Tomato Cheese-Ravioli Soup: (this is the recipe as is)
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can vegetable broth, undiluted
1/2 tsp italian seasoning (google for subs if needed)
1/2 (25 oz) pkg frozen cheese ravioli (about 20-24 raviloies)
1 cup sliced zucchini
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Cover, reduce and simmer for 5 min.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, return to boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 7 min (or until pasta is done--it floats)
Makes 4 (1.25 c) servings
See!! Super easy!
Here are my alterations/recipe version:
1. I added about 1/3 lb italian sausage (I had leftover from spinach lasagna roll ups in the freezer)
2. I sauteed my zucchini (I used 1 whole zuch), about 12 grape tomatoes and sausage over med-low heat for a few min
3. I added extra veggie broth b/c I knew I'd need extra with all the extra stuff I was adding.
4. I used Knorr's vegetable broth bouillon cubes and made 3 cups of broth (couldn't find vegetable broth canned)
5. I used Italian stewed tomatoes.
I contemplated adding white beans (rinsed and drained) but decided against it--so just ignore those in the picture below, this soup had enough going on and was just fine the way we made it!
So here's how my recipe would read:
1 (14.5 oz) can Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
1.5 cubes Knorr's vegetable bouillon cubes (dissolved into) 3 c boiling water
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 pkg (25 oz) frozen cheese ravioli (I used 20)
1 small zucchini, quartered/sliced
10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 lb Italian sausage, mild, browned and drained
1. Bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil; while waiting heat skillet and sautee zucchini, sausage. Add tomatoes for a few min.
2. Stir in zucch, tomatoes, sausage, and rest of the ingredients into the saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer and cook til pasta is tender (5-7 min)
3. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches!