Sunday, April 15, 2012

Grilled Chicken Tacos

I was recently given a not-so-subtle suggestion to keep posting recipes from my friend, Lindsey. Bless her heart she actually still uses this site for dinner ideas! I was thrilled to know SOMEONE still cared about it and I decided I'd try to do a better job of posting new things we try. We are always trying new things I just don't blog about them as much partially out of laziness and partially because I just figured no one was looking! So here you go, Linds, these recipes are for you!

This particular recipe is so easy I could cry. The first time I found it I thought "Okay, a cute little twist on tacos...whatever...will try". Then I panicked the day we were supposed to have it because it was almost naptime I had realized I had not marinated the chicken the night before!! ACK! All recipes worth their salt require overnight marination, right?! I ran downstairs to look at the recipe again...marinate for 20 min-2 hours!? Could my eyesight be failing me?! Cue the heavens singing. I plopped all the ingredients in a ziplock bag, threw it in the fridge and went upstairs to take a nap with my kids. Then I cooked it on a cast-iron skillet because, for some odd reason we still have not bought a grill. It works like an indoor grill, that cast-iron skillet. And it makes me feel all southern and old-school. Anyways. LOOOOONG story short...these tacos were AMAZING. I don't know if I'll ever cook regular tacos again. And if you serve the chicken with fresh honey/champange mangoes that are in season right now, with a little avocado and fresh crumbling mexican cheese you have yourself a fine feast my friend. Enjoy!!

Grilled Chicken Tacos

3 Tbsp EVOO

2 Tbsp lime juice

4 tsp Montreal Chicken seasoning (we used McCormick’s Grill Mates)

1.5 lb boneless/skinless chicken, I would recommend cutting it up into 1-2" slices

1 8-oz container fresh refrigerated salsa (I buy the kind in the produce section)

1 large mango peeled/chopped (or use thawed frozen mango)

¼ c fresh chopped cilantro

Fajita sized tortillas, warmed

Optional toppings: cheese, lettuce, avocado

Optional side dish: refried beans (you can add 4 oz whipped chive-flavored cream cheese and ½ tsp cumin to the beans) put into a baking dish, top with little bit of finely chopped onion and shredded queso, bake @450F for 20-30 min…Yum.


For chicken: toss EVOO, lime juice, montreal seasoning and chicken tenders into a ziplock bag, marintate in the refrigerator for 30 min; cook in a skillet over med-hi heat or grill them. Serve with all the fixin’s…so quick and delicious!


No comments: