Saturday, March 16, 2013

Thai Basil Chicken Wraps

Ah! Warm weather is upon us, even if for but a few days!  I don't know about you, but we had the windows open and spent a large portion of the afternoon outside today. It is amazing to me how quickly I can feel myself becoming more energized and enthusiastic when the warm weather starts rolling in.  In honor of the occasion (well, maybe more by happenstance) we had a lovely, light dinner. This was supposed to be one of those "quick" meals. The recipe I loosely based the idea off of was "Super Fast 20-minute cooking" deals. They weren't lying. I panicked when I realized it was 5:15p and I still hadn't pulled a single ingredient out of the refrigerator nor had I thawed any meat. Eeeps!

Never fear, though. I looked up at 5:47p and dinner was done. DONE, I tell you. I could not believe it!  And the taste?  Delicious.

Thai Basil Turkey Wraps
loosely adapted from Cooking Light "Spicy Thai Basil Chicken"

4 tsp canola oil (or vegetable)
1/2 c. minced shallots (roughly 4 shallots)
1/2-1 c. thinly sliced red pepper (I used about 4 of the mini sweet peppers from the mixed bag)...now if you would like more crunch from your pepper make larger slices
4 tsp fresh, minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey, lean
1 Tbsp sweet rice vinegar
2 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper *depending on how hot you want it
1 cup fresh basil (NO you cannot use dried for this, sorry)
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2-3 limes, cut into wedges

*rice (you can add garlic/onions to this)
*chopped lettuce such as Boston or Bibb or Butter leaf, or you can attempt to do wraps and leave it whole
* chopped avocado would be good in this I think

for a "dressing" I mixed 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp rice vinegar, 2 tsp sesame seed oil
I think some fresh grated ginger might be nice, too

1. In a large skillet, over med heat add 2 tsp oil, cook turkey until crumbled and brown/done. Remove turkey and put in bowl to the side.
2. Add 2 more tsp to skillet, over med-hi heat add shallots. Stir and sautee for 2-4 min until desired level of doneness (I like mine light brown). Stir in sliced pepper and garlic. Sautee for 1 minute.
3. Add turkey back into skillet and stir all the ingredients in the skillet for a minute or 2.
4. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, black and red pepper. Stir well and mix all of the ingredients in the skillet well, until heated through.
5. Remove skillet from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir in basil and lime juice.

Serve over rice or in lettuce for wraps.
We made a salad of sorts, rice, lettuce, turkey, dressing.

I served ours with fresh mango and strawberries. I had envisioned serving it with mangoes/sticky rice but that's too much rice for one meal, plus I forgot to soak the rice overnight.
Try this recipe out. If you like spicier things look at the cooking light version. I promise it's quick, easy, healthy, and taste delicious!


No comments: