Delicious! This is one of our favorite curry recipes. This is enough for our little family of 4 (really 2 big folks and 2 little folks who count for maybe 1 big person) to last 2 nights. I usually serve it with rice and two green veggies. Peas are ever popular here and green beans.
6 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped (or 2.5 c frozen diced onion)
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt (maybe even a little less)
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into little bite-size pieces
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 c plain yogurt (now tonight I only had one cup, so I substituted the other with a cup of sour cream)
1.5 c coconut milk
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I omit this and let everyone heat their curry up to their liking, which for me is none!)
I also like to add in either cooked carrots, sweet potato cubes or even diced tomatoes.
1. Cook your chicken until its done. Set aside.
2. In a small,bowl mix garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaves, ginger, sugar and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onions. Stir/cook for 5-8 min until they're lightly brown.
4. Stir in your spices (you just mixed up In Step 2) and let it cook with the onions for about 2 min, stirring regularly.
5. Add your cooked chicken, tomato paste, yogurt and coconut milk (and any add-ins like sweet potatoes you like). Stir together well. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat, simmer for 20-25 min.
6. Remove bay leaves and add lemon juice.
I serve it over jasmine rice or couscous. If you want one of these, I recommend to begin prep for those during step 5. Then your rice will be done about the same time. Also you can start veggies then so your meal is done at the same time.
Try it! It's delicious!