Monday, November 18, 2013

Slow Cooker Breakfast

Wouldn't be awesome to have your own personal chef? To wake up and walk downstairs to a warm, delicious breakfast that is all ready to go? Well, turn to your crock pot and say, "Hello, personal chef".

I know, I know. Mondays are supposed to be Muffins. Trust me, my oldest told me all about how we were supposed to be having muffins this morning, NOT apples grits.

But, I couldn't help it. I did not feel like waking up and making muffins (we ate all the rest of the 3 batches I've made this month...cough, cough...Senor). I knew last night I didn't want to wake up and make muffins. So, I decided to change up the schedule. I also knew we still had apples in the fridge that are not super great for just munching on, but they'd be awesome cooked.
No, this is not my picture. Mine was not nearly as pretty and I was too hungry to take any pictures this morning.

I wanted something warm, healthy and easy. So, I adapted a few recipes I came across and threw it all in the crock pot, turned it on LOW, and proceeded to go to bed. When Senor left for work, I asked him to turn it to "keep warm" after he had a bowl. When the girls and I finally made it downstairs a while later, all I had to do was scoop it into bowls, plop on some vanilla greek yogurt, a dash of cinnamon/sugar and voila! Healthy, hearty, warm breakfast!

It was so yummy. The girls both ate it up. And I took the rest and froze it in muffin tins for later, individual servings.

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
4-5 apples, any variety. Cored, peeled if you like, diced (large chunks)
2 1/2 c milk
1/2 c cream
3 cups water
2 cups steel cut oats (I like Bob's Red Mill)...and YES, they have to be steel cut oats
4-6 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
pinch or 2 of ginger
1/2 tsp (scant) of salt
1 c raisins (optional)

Directions: 
1. Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray.
2. Dump all ingredients into crock pot; stir up; cover and turn to LOW for 5-7 hours
3. It is done when the edges are slightly brown and oats are cooked.

Scoop up servings and top with any number of toppings! Chopped pecans, walnuts, craisins, vanilla yogurt, sprinkle of cinnamon, dash of sugar, honey, fresh banana or pear...little cream.  The possibilities are endless and delicious. 

Makes approx 8- 3/4 cup servings

If you want to freeze leftovers for a later (quick) meal...spray your muffin tin well. Plop your oatmeal into each tin (about 1/3 cup for each), place it in the fridge until it's all cooled off well. Then pop the muffin tin and oatmeal into the freezer until it's frozen. Remove it from the freezer, pop each out of the tin, toss into a freezer bag and place the bag back in the freezer. 

When you want a little oatmeal, simply remove the desired number of servings and thaw them in the microwave until they're warm (usually 3-7 min); be sure to stir it up a few times during the microwaving process. 

No comments: