Tuesday, August 5, 2008
This Bread is BANANAS!
Gwen Stefani, thank you for getting that song burned into our brains FOREVER.
Today, we are doing comfort food. Since I'm stuck inside and home from work (so sad) due to Tropical Storm E. it makes me thinks of good, yummy comfort food.
Banana Bread~ it's easy, (not so quick), and relatively healthy
3-4 ripe bananas
1 c. sugar
4 Tbsp butter (may substitute applesauce for more healthiness)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Optional additions: chocolate chips, pecan pieces, walnuts chopped, raisins, craisins, crushed and drained pineapple, dash or 2 extra cinnamon
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees F
2. Mash bananas, add sugar, egg and butter. Mix together with mixer.
3. In separate bowl mix together flour, salt and baking soda
4. Gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add any optional ingredients you like...they add extra yumminess
6. Bake in oven for ~55-65 min for a loaf of bread OR ~30-45 min for muffins; make sure toothpick test is clean in center
7. EAT THEM ALL before anyone finds out you made them!
Tips from the chef:
*For bananas: I usually toss nappy ones in the freezer before they're completely gone and thaw them later for some bread
** For applesauce: I recommend the cinnamon or all-natural, no-sugar added flavor
***For flour: I use whole-wheat which adds a richer flavor (and a few extra healthy points)
Posted by Cherie (and sometimes Senor) at 8:04 AM