Tuesday, August 5, 2008

This Bread is BANANAS!


B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
Gwen Stefani, thank you for getting that song burned into our brains FOREVER.


Today, we are doing comfort food. Since I'm stuck inside and home from work (so sad) due to Tropical Storm E. it makes me thinks of good, yummy comfort food.

Banana Bread~ it's easy, (not so quick), and relatively healthy

3-4 ripe bananas
1 c. sugar
1 egg
4 Tbsp butter (may substitute applesauce for more healthiness)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Optional additions: chocolate chips, pecan pieces, walnuts chopped, raisins, craisins, crushed and drained pineapple, dash or 2 extra cinnamon

1. Preheat oven 325 degrees F
2. Mash bananas, add sugar, egg and butter. Mix together with mixer.
3. In separate bowl mix together flour, salt and baking soda
4. Gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add any optional ingredients you like...they add extra yumminess
6. Bake in oven for ~55-65 min for a loaf of bread OR ~30-45 min for muffins; make sure toothpick test is clean in center
7. EAT THEM ALL before anyone finds out you made them!

Tips from the chef:
*For bananas: I usually toss nappy ones in the freezer before they're completely gone and thaw them later for some bread
** For applesauce: I recommend the cinnamon or all-natural, no-sugar added flavor
***For flour: I use whole-wheat which adds a richer flavor (and a few extra healthy points)

2 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

Yay for yummy AND healthy! I was wishing today that we lived in Houston so I could have the day off. Or so I could just see rain (I think it's been 45 days since it's actually rained here.)

Linds and Allen said...

I know you love a healty snack so her is a cucumber salsa receipe that Reba found. We have been making this with veggies from my dad's garden. While I wasn't too excited about it at first, I am now in love with it.

2 med cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 med tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c chopped bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, mined
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp minced fresh parsely
2 tsp minced fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp salt

Mix everthing up in a bowl and refridgerate for 1 hour.

Eat it with tortialla chips. Watch out because you will finish off an entire bowl before you know it.