Monday, February 23, 2009

Oatmeal Spice Raisin (if you want) Cake

s
Got this one from mi mom-in-law. It is one of Senor's favorites and he asked for it last year on his birthday...no I'm not just now getting around to making it!! What kind of person do you think I am?!

I made it again the other night and if you make it sans icing it's relatively healthy. Now, the icing...that's a different story. And senor would NEVER eat it if there were no icing...so just know for the anti-healthnuts out there the icing is crucial!

The RECIPE:
1 c quick oats (I used regular cooking ones just fine so don't panic)
1 c boiling water
2 eggs
1 1/2 c brown sugar (ok so maybe this pushes over the healthy cliff)
4-5 Tbsp butter
1 c flour
1 c raisins (optional but strongly encouraged)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon (don't skimp!)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pour boiling water over oats and let them sit for 5-10 min. In a separate large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Add the flour, raisins, bkg soda, bkg pwder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Add in the oatmeal mixture. Mix even more...it will be very runny. Don't worry.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour 8x8 or bundt pan. Bake for 30-35 min OR until toothpick comes out CLEAN...don't over cook it!

ICING:
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 c milk
1 c brown sugar

1. In sauce pan over med heat melt 3 Tbsp butter; add 1/4 c milk and sugar. Stir until just combined and begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp vanilla and whisk in 1 3/4 c powdered sugar. Quickly pour over cake...this icing hardens quickly! Do not over cook or it will become like pralines. (which isn't necessarily a bad thing?!)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Amanda! I wanted to try a new cake this weekend, so I made this -- twice!

I used Craisins instead of raisins, though, and it turned out excellently! Also, I think I might try adding some orange zest next time as well. Also, I didn't use all the frosting . . .

Thanks for the recipe, friend! I have a newfound love for spice cakes. YUM!