Spring roll wrappers (we used BANH TRANG-it has a huge red rose on it)
1/2 c bean sprouts
1/3 head green/purple cabbage, shredded thinly (or buy a bag of coleslaw mix in the salad section)
5 green onions, chopped
1 c thin rice noodles, pre-cooked (We used SARAP rice sticks, you just put them in hot/boiling water til they're tender--maybe 5-10min, then drain)
1/4 c fresh cilantro, basil or mint, chopped
1/4-1/3 c carrots julienned (you can buy them already thinly cut near the baby carrots)
1 Tbsp lime juice (maybe more?)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (again, more?)
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated optional...increase?
OPT: add in some cooked, chopped chicken (short-cut: buy it from the lunch meat section)
For the sauce:
3 Tbsp peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp hot sauce ** optional
1 clove garlic minced (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
1 Tbsp oil (sesame is best, but veggie will work too)
For the sauce:
stir together pnut butter and honey, add 2 Tbsp hot water, mix til smooth. Add soy sauce, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic. Mix well. Slowly stir in oil; mix til smooth and refrigerate
For the rolls:
1. Fill a pan (9x13) with HOT water.
2. ** you can keep your veggies separate and stack them neatly or you can mix all veggies, cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice and ginger in a large bowl.
3. Take 2 wrappers and submerse them in the water. hold them there for 15 sec or until they're translucent (like jelly fish)
4. remove from the water, place on large clean working surface (our cutting board worked well)
5. place a small handful of veggies--2 Tbsp? (or stack them) approx 1/3 way towards top, in the center.
5.5 top with small amount of noodles
6. Fold in R side, Fold in L side
7. Keeping your thumbs on the bottom side and pushing up, reach up and grab the top flap and pull it tightly over the entire bundle. con't to roll til it's sealed...