This recipe came from a friend of mine...it's super delish. Not to mention easy and quick. Sorry I don't have pics. I'll work on that. I've never had anyone turn it down or say they didn't like it. Try it...like now, tonight. go!
chicken tortilla soup:
1 med red onion, chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic (I always go for 2-3)
36 oz chicken broth
1 14-oz can corn, no drain
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, no drain
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained (optional, but strongly recommended)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed, drained (again optional, but...)
2 c cooked chicken, chopped
2-3 tsp chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin (opt)
dash red pepper or cayenne sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp dried oregano
tostidos or tortillas
pepper jack cheese
fresh chopped cilantro
garlic, Parmesan, butter, parsley sour dough toast (or tortillas--toasted in the oven with little of each sprinkled on top!--then cut into triangles)
1. in large stock pot heat oil on med hi; sautee peppers, onions and garlic. When onions soft/translucent add tomatoes and corn.
2. Add oregano and chili powder (and cumin)
3. Add broth
4. Decrease heat and allow to simmer for 15 min
5. Add chicken. (and beans)
6. Allow to cook for another 10 min or so...done.
You can put tortillas (or chips) in the bottom of your bowl and put soup over it; or you can leave them to the side and dip in your soup...I prefer the latter.
Now for the shortcuts:
* chicken: OPT #1--you can buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli and chop it up; #2--use canned chicken if you're into that kind of thing; #3--I personally prefer the cheap chicken breasts with skin and bone still on, boil it then cut it up
* onions and peppers--they sell them in the frozen veggie dept all ready chopped and set to go and it saves LOTS of time!! no real detriment to flavor
*buy already minced garlic
IF you buy rotisserie chicken (or canned), frozen veggies and canned corn etc this soup is so easy to throw together!!