Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Beef Stronganoff, it's what's for dinner

Last night we had a "slum" meal as I call it. It's not gourmet or fancy, certainly doesn't look pretty on a plate but it works. It was not the planned for pork chops with apple chutney and butternut squash cannelloni from Martha. This happened for several reasons.
1. It was the end of the month so trying to stay within the grocery budget did not allow for such things as full-price pork chops.
2. (More importantly) being 8 months preggo, I'm just not feeling up to cooking so much right now. Hum. Go figure.

So I noted that we had 1/2 lb of ground beef left in the freezer and thought about what I could do with it, came across a recipe for Beef Stroganoff and thought it sounded kind of good (like Hamburger Helper mom used to make)...weird I know coming from a former vegetarian, BUT it did and I don't recall WHEN if EVER I'd had actual beef stroganoff; thus the idea was born. All I needed to buy was sour cream. Easy enough.

So there are no pictures, if you've ever seen beef stroganoff you know why. It looks like someone lost dinner rather than got served dinner. MORE IMPORTANTLY, focus here, Senor LOVED it. He has asked that it be made in the nearer future rather than distant. For me, it was fine. It fit the bill...edible, had protein, filling and warm. Served with steamed carrots and green peas.

BEEF STROGANOFF:
(this made enough for probably 4 servings, except Senor had seconds so it made dinner one night and lunch for him today)
1/2 lb ground beef (most recipes call for sirloin steak cut up...either way--BEEF)
1 4-oz can mushrooms, drained (or you can use fresh)
1/4 c onion, chopped (I used the frozen stuff)
1 clove garlic minced
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1.5 tsp lite soy sauce
1/4-1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4-1c beef broth (I'd start with 3/4 c but have the other 1/4c on hand)
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2c sour cream (I used reduced fat)
optional: 1/2 tsp thyme
1-2 c mini farfelle pasta (or egg noodles, or whatever pasta you have...make enough for 4 servings)

In large skillet over med heat cook ground beef til browned. In a separate skillet melt butter and sautee onions/mushrooms til tender. Pour shrooms and onions back into beef skillet, add in flour, soy sauce, dijon mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, beef broth, parsley, and nutmeg (thyme if you choose as well). Stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 min. (I start cooking my pasta when the mixture starts simmering). Add in extra broth if mixture looses too much liquid. Stir occasionally. Finally, stir in sour cream, cook until well heated. Serve over hot buttered noodles/pasta.

No comments: