Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Strudel by Senor

Senor here, this weekend we took a short trip into the mountains and bought ten pounds of delicious apples. I highly recommend buying apples now, even if you don't make strudel, they're in season and scrumptious. And since I had been dreaming about apple strudel, I knew I wanted to make some. Cherie helped me find a recipe and I went to town and Cherie mostly stayed out of the kitchen; you know the power struggles that can occur with two chefs in the kitchen.

The dough was easier than I expected to roll out thin. It worked fine, I just used a rolling pin I didn't make it to 2ft x 3ft. Made it to 20" x 25"...it was fine.
The raisins were soaked overnight in apple juice instead of rum. We used way too many apples, I would use 3 or 4 apples instead of the six we had. I am adding more nuts, raisins, cinnamon and sugar next time, make it a little more decadent.

If you follow the recipe the dough works pretty well, it only stuck to the kitchen towel in a few spots and had to scrape it off with a knife.

The hardest part of the recipe was after it was baked not eating it for 30 minutes.

The crust was flaky, good texture, and the apples had great flavor, once we added some sugar back on top it was pretty near perfect and tastes like what we had in Eastern Europe from what I remember from 2007.
Will make again, and again.

No comments: