Saturday, October 3, 2009

Slop, Slop, Sloppy Joe's


I used the 1/2 lb of browned ground beef (with onions and peppers) from the enchiladas the other day to make Sloppy Joe's tonight. This was definitely a Senor request (and success, he gave it a solid thumbs up). I thought they tasted satisfying enough as well. It tasted JUST LIKE the sloppy joes with Manwich mom used to make when I was growing up. It's been at least 12 years since I'd had a sloppy joe. Senor had tater tots with his (every now and then I give in!) and I had greek vanilla yogurt and granny smith apple slices. Definitely a quick meal. Easy. Tasty. Satisfying. You could jazz it up with some sharp cheddar, lettuce, or homemade buns--I just didn't feel like putting forth the effort for the buns like I did for Philly Sandwiches. Maybe next time.

Sloppy Joe's--not sure where I got this recipe but here's what I used
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c onion, chopped
1/4 c green pepper, chopped
little chili powder, oregano, pepper
(all of this was mixed and browned previously for enchiladas...so all I did was dump it into the skillet)

Sloppy Joe Sauce: (for 1/2lb meat)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp yellow mustard
5-6 Tbsp ketchup (add more as needed)
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp worcestshire sauce

Brown the meat in skillet, when it's all done (with veggies), drain. Mix together sauce, stir into meat in skillet over med-lo heat. Add little water, cook on low for 10-15 min or until heated through. Serve on buns.
Options:
You could add chopped tomatoes, chopped zucchini or other veggies if you wanted.
Makes about 3-4 sandwiches.

No comments: