I have only prepared it using the slow cooker method and it's so delicious, easy and keeps your kitchen clean and cool! WARNING: It does make a GOB of the stuff...I do mean a GOB. Be advised. Senor and I can make this dinner for close to a week if we ration it properly.I made it today for dinner and looked up to realize I had only a dirty cutting board, knife and measuring cup/spoon to wash. Awesome. And we did not heat the house to boiling by having to turn on the oven. Even better.
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1/2 pound andouille smoked chicken sausage, thinly sliced (I recommend using Aidells Organic Fully Cooked Cajun Style Andouille Smoked Chicken Sausage) I found it at Kroger of all places.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (use fresh here...don't cheat with frozen like I often do in other recipes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (same...fresh)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- Garnish: sliced green onions, cheese, sour cream, Corn bread muffins
Slow-cooker Red Beans and Rice: Stir together first 7 ingredients and 7 cups water in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with rice. Makes: about 10 cups