Sunday, July 1, 2012

Thai Spaghetti

It's hot. Ridiculously hot. I can't really tolerate it much longer. I might have to move to the North Pole. Or buy a cooling suit. Have you ever even seen a cooling suit? Husband is an engineer; I am sure he can whip one up if necessary.

Due to stated heat, I have refused to turn on the oven. Well, except in dire circumstances...mumble, mumble, cough, cough. That may or may not have found its way into my oven this evening and be baking even as we speak. Senor requested it! I could not justify making it during the day though so here it bakes at 11pm so as not to blow up my A/C. It smells delicious in case you were wondering. Pret-ty sure you can't screw up butter, flour, sugar and 3 types of berries smothered in more sugar.

Anyways. That was not the point of this post. I digress. I might be experiencing heat exhaustion.
First, a recipe from the little person. She informed me yesterday she was going to make some eggs for me. Good thing her little oven doesn't produce heat because she cooks up a storm these days.
Here (in case you need a new one) is a recipe for eggs. Mind you, it does not actually call for eggs. She's genius I tell you. Creating things without using the actual food. Amazing.

Eggs...by LB
2 1/2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp milk
(I thought at this point she might actually be onto something but then she went a different direction:)
2 Tbsp yogurt
(interesting. But her next step really took it to a new level)
2 Tbsp green beans
2 Tbsp waffles

That's it. No further instructions. You're on your own!

Okay...so that still is not the point of this post. The point of this post is that I came across a recipe from Smitten Kitchen (I think she and I would get along swimmingly by the by) for cold noodles with chicken and peanut sauce and the word "Cold" caught my eye. I marked it as part of our menu this week. I proceeded to finish out the menu and prepare a grocery list. As I went through this recipe I started to get really flustered just reading it! Too many steps. Too many ingredients. Too much work. I scanned through it once more and realized I already had a recipe that had pretty much the same results and was much easier. The menu was changed.

Thai spaghetti is actually a recipe I took from my SIL. While Senor and I were engaged we flew out to meet his sister and her family. Had a lovely time and one evening she whipped this delightful little meal up for us. It was quick, tasty and had a different flavor than alot of recipes in my repertoire. Even more curious to me was that her (then 3 yr old) son was so excited to find out this was dinner!


Thai Spaghetti
1 lb wheat spaghetti*
1/3 c peanut butter, softened (I like creamy for this but crunch would work)
2 Tbsp honey
¼ c soy sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp hot pepper sauce**
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
3 Tbsp veg oil
2 c cooked, cubed chicken ***
2 c fresh spinach, chopped 
1/2 c shredded carrots
4 scallions, sliced 
1/3-1/2 c chopped peanuts (recommend roasted, lightly or no salted)
¼ c cilantro fresh, chopped

  1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt (1/2 tsp), add pasta and cook til al dente, drain, rinse in cool water—set aside
  2. While pasta is cooking, in large bowl whisk together pnut butter, honey and ¼ c warm water.  Stir in soy sauce, lime juice, pepper sauce and garlic…mix well, pour in oil in slow steady stream while stirring. 
  3. In large bowl, coat noodles with pnut mixture ( I skip this leave everything separate and let everyone create their own dish; using the peanut mixture as more of a dressing)
Divide noodles among 4 bowls, top with chicken, spinach, carrots, scallions, pnuts and cilantro



Alterations:
* sub cold rice noodles; I've also used rice before. I personally do not like the spaghetti noodles.
**I omit this
I tend to increase the amount of veggies; added chopped sweet red pepper tonight
***tonight I cooked boneless/skinless chicken on the cast iron skillet with lime juice and fresh minced ginger. In the past we've used plain rotisserie chicken but I definitely liked the added flavor of the chicken tonight.

So it serves up like a little salad bar. For little ones I roll up her rice noodles like "nests" and give her a small container of the dressing to use as "dip" and give her a small amount of each ingredient on her plate with some toothpicks!

No comments: