Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Black Bean Enchiladas

These are a concoction. Something I created the other night in an attempt to make life easier. I had to be out for the afternoon/early evening yesterday and my dear madre volunteered to watch the zoo. I did not want her to also have to worry about dinner so I tried to think of something easy and simple she could pop in the oven or such. I had a fierce craving for mexican. I had whipped up some black bean dip for lunch last week and wanted more. I also wanted enchiladas. Black Bean Enchiladas. Easy right? Prepare the night before; toss in the oven. Simple. All I needed was a recipe. That was much more difficult to find one I felt was simple enough but also seemed tasty. I ended up blending some ideas in my head with a few different recipes I came across.

Maybe I was just really hungry or had a serious need for mexican but these enchiladas were so yummy. I had them for leftovers for lunch today (which is why the pictures aren't as yummy looking...leftover enchiladas will never appear all that amazing). Trust me...you want to make these. They will leave you wanting more!

All of my recipe is a rough estimation of what I did. Feel free to improvise and add more/less of somethings.

The filling:
2 -26.5 oz can low sodium Bush's black beans, rinsed/drained
2 large sweet potatoes peeled, diced and cooked (then mash slightly)
1/2 large onion, diced
2-3 cloves fresh garlic
1/4 c lime juice
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1-2 Tbsp EVOO
4-8 oz chives and onion cream cheese

Sauce:
7 oz can diced green chiles
2 c chicken broth
2-3 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp APF
8 oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
4 oz sour cream

Other ingredients:
tortillas (I mixed flour and corn)--this batch of stuff made roughly 20 enchiladas...using the small tortillas
fresh corn (roasted and cut off the cobb)
melting mexican queso (shredded)

Other toppings:
fresh chopped spinach
fresh salsa (I buy mine in the produce section)
sour cream
more queso
fresh chopped cilantro
avocado
fresh mango
You could add spanish rice to this dish too...I was spent by the time I got the enchiladas made

To make the filling:
1. Place a large stock pot on the stove and heat olive oil in it on medium high. When it's hot add onions and garlic. Sautee them until the onion is browning....careful not to burn the garlic! (stir frequently)
2. Toss in the beans
3. Add in about 1/2 can of water and lime juice, cumin, chili powder
4. Allow to simmer on medium-low for about 15 min or until the liquid is reduced by about 1/2.
5. stir in sweet potatoes. Allow to simmer another 5-8 min.
6. Bring your food processor or blender over next to the stove. 
7. Working in small batches (or as large as you can manage in your appliance) puree the mixture and return it to the pot; repeat this process until it's the consistency you desire. I liked mine mostly pureed with a little bit of whole bean left.
8. Allow it simmer a bit more until it resembles refried bean consistency. (if at any point you think it's too thick add a few tablespoons of water)
9. Allow it to cool for about 10 min. Then stir in the cream cheese. Set it aside.

Assemble you enchiladas. 
I heated my corn tortillas on a cast iron skillet coated in nonstick cooking spray first.
I used this order:
tortilla, bean mixture, roasted corn, cheese; roll up and place seam down in a 9x13 baking dish. (I recommend lining your pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up!)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sauce:
1. In a medium sauce pan heat EVOO on medium high heat. When it's hot whisk in (quickly) flour; then add green chiles; constantly stirring so they don't burn. Then slowly whisk in chicken broth so as not to create any lumps. Reduce heat. 
2. Stir in mushrooms and allow mixture to simmer on medium low heat-stirring occasionally--until the liquid thickens and is reduced by about 1/3-1/2 (depending on how runny you like your enchilada sauce)
3. Once it is to your liking, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 min. Stir in sour cream until it's all well mixed. 
4. Pour mixture over the top of your enchiladas. 
5. Bake in the oven for 30-45 min or until bubbly and brown. You may want to keep it covered with foil for the first 20 min and then remove foil and toss on some extra cheese for the remaining 10-15 min.

Top as you wish and enjoy!


No comments: