Thursday, August 2, 2012

Zucchini Salad

I noticed several folks have done posts this evening on their dinner plans/menus/general routines and it reminded me (er, um "motivated" me) to post about our dinners as of late.
I have pulled most of this week's menu from the most recent issue of Real Simple.
I also decided to add back the calendar at the bottom of our family blog.
Next week maybe a bit wild and wooly since the kitchen will be out of commission more or less. I think I will be compiling some freezer/crock pot meals to cover the week of destruction.

Last night (and the night before--remember cook once eat twice--or thrice!!) we had this dish. I added black beans for protein and some fresh corn. The corn didn't work well with the other flavors. I would definitely up the beans though. They added a nice flavor and would definitely "anchor" this as more of a filling dinner. I also strongly recommend the step where you toss everything as the end so it's all warmed up. I almost skipped it and was so glad I didn't when I ate it!!


Serves 4Hands-On Time: 20mTotal Time: 20m

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes; let cool, then break into pieces. Add the oil, zucchini, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
  3. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and cooking water to the pasta and cook over medium heat, tossing, until the tomatoes soften slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Feta and bacon and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with the basi

No comments: