Sunday, November 4, 2012

Birthday Cake

For the girls' joint birthday party I wanted to try my hand at making a cute cake. I knew it would probably involve fondant, lots of it, too. I knew I'd need a large variety of colors. Purchasing that much was against my frugal religion. I mulled over the options for a few weeks and finally decided to try my hand at making fondant. I researched the various ways to make it and settled on marshmallow fondant. Holy lucky knuckle balls why had I not try this before?! It was so stinkin' easy!!!  I am working hard to figure out when I can use fondant again!




As for the cake itself I wanted something fall-ish and something different from your run-of-the-mill birthday cake varieties. We were going to a pumpkin patch for part of the festivities...pumpkin cake, of course came to mind. I went searching for recipes.

In the end I settled on this recipe for the cake and icing. I used this recipe for the fondant. I used Wilton's gel icing colors to get the colors I wanted. I did not tweak anything in the recipes. I made double so I had enough for 3 9" rounds and a few big cupcakes (I stacked 2 on top of each other for CJ's smash cake)

I had a blast creating this cake. It did not turn out how I had planned or envisioned but it tasted de.li.cious. and my girls loved it.

No comments: