Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Brownies


 Does it get much better than brownies?! Chocolate. Cakey, but still kind of fudgey. Cookie-ish. One-pan wonders. They are the workhorse of baked goods I think. As I previously mentioned in the pear tart post, Senor requested brownies this week. For once, I was sad he had chosen a chocolate dish.



 Now, don't think for a second that prevented me from eating some, because it didn't. I had come across a recipe in SL and it had, of course, some tempting photos of brownies with variations on the basic recipe listed. Senor scoured the page and settled on the cream-cheese swirl brownies. I was sort of hoping he'd pick the Rocky Road Brownies (what, with marshmallows, pecans, chocolate sauce?! What could be lacking?) or perhaps the caramel turtle ones...again, pecans, brownie and caramel. No downsides I can see. He was firm in his decision so the cream-cheese swirled brownies were born. I think they're alright.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for them I don't know; they just have not wowed me in any particular way. Senor, on the other hand has raved about them all week. So if you're in the mood for brownies and want to try something a little daring...have at these. They certainly aren't repulsive or inedible. I think I just wasn't in a brownie mood this week.

 Simple Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
4 oz unsweetened chocolate baking bar, chopped
3/4 c butter
2 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 c all-purpose flour

 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract

 1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave-safe bowl on high 1- 1.5 min or until melted and smooth; stirring at 30 second intervals. Whisk in the sugar and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour. Spread the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.  (you can only schmear half the batter, then dollop cream cheese mixture --as directed below and then finish off with the remaining brownie batter if you like...they're your swirl brownies!)
3. In separate mixing bowl beat cream cheese, 1/4 c sugar, 1 egg yolk and vanilla at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth.
4. Dollop cream cheese mixture over brownie mixture and swirl together using a paring knife. Bake 35-40 min. Cool. Eat. Reflect. Consider future variations on the simple brownie recipe. Drink some milk.

No comments: