Friday, June 20, 2014

Cinnamon Roll Face-off

While I was making 2 versions of lemon icebox pie, I decided I should surprise Senor with homemade cinnamon rolls Sunday morning for Father's Day. I have a recipe I've used for several years and it is great, but I was curious if there were any recipes that might be better!  So, in true me fashion...I could only narrow it down to two recipes.

I don't have great pictures of either recipe because they were GONE! I made 2 pans of each recipe and froze 1 pan of each for later. I had a few scrap pieces left from each batch that were left in the fridge to bake the next day but, they weren't pretty at all; tasted divine, but not pretty.

Both recipes were similar in complexity. One requires you to proof the yeast first before adding dry ingredients. One requires you to mix the yeast in with the dry ingredients. I much prefer the previous method in my yeast dough.

Recipe #1: Culinary Couture

Recipe #2: Averie Cooks
The only alteration I made to either one was I added 1 tsp of vanilla to each with the wet ingredients.

I prepared both sets of rolls & icings on Saturday, covered them, refrigerated them until Sunday morning. I let them sit out for about an hour Sunday morning and baked them both at 350F for about 15-17 min; just until they were turning light brown. I iced both sets and we had a very critical taste-testing!

the verdict? Culinary Couture was by far the better cinnamon roll. Both were extremely sweet, the filling could easily by decreased on both! But honestly, can you ever really have a bad cinnamon roll?

No comments: