I have tried many a pancake recipe. I have been many a time disappointed. That is, until I finally have the perfect basic buttermilk pancake recipe! They are fluffy, light, tasty, easily altered (add in your favorite fruit!), super quick and require only basic ingredients.
So tomorrow, as you pull yourself out of bed, do yourself a favor and make a batch of these for your Saturday morning. You won't be disappointed. You won't be out of energy from cooking. You'll be full and ready for whatever Saturday has for you.
Makes approximately 12 regular sized or 30 small pancakes
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk (or you can use regular milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice mixed in...let it sit for a few minutes)
2 Tbsp oil (or melted butter)
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together
2. In a medium mixing bowl mix together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; mix well
3. Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture. Stir with a fork JUST until there are no large areas of unmixed flour. Batter should be lumpy. Don't over mix or you'll have flat pancakes.
4. In a large non-stick skillet, lightly butter the skillet over med-low heat and pour approx 1/4 c batter for each pancake. Allow pancakes to bubble up on top before flipping over.
5. Flip. Cook for a few minutes on second side. Remove from skillet and serve with butter, syrup and fresh fruit.
ENJOY. Now go forth with your lazy morning.