Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Vegetarian Roasted Chickpea Gyros

I came across this recipe and thought it sounded simple and pretty good. I, of course, wanted to alter it a bit. **these pictures are not the best, AT ALL, but I was not really expecting this to be blog worthy!**

We also happened to have a lemon pepper rotisserie chicken in the fridge at this time that needed to be used and I had no plans for it, so I opted to chop the meat from it into the chickpea mix. It wasn't a ton of meat, but it did add a little to the mix.

I made homemade Naan (I doubled the recipe to make about 13-14 flats)
For those who are not inclined to do that, you can use whole wheat flat bread or some grocers do sell Naan in the bakery section.

I used my recipe for tzatziki sauce (I made the full recipe, thinking it would be too much, actually, we probably could've eaten more!)

For the chickpeas:

2 15-oz cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried
Several Tablespoons of olive oil (enough to coat the beans on a cookie sheet)
salt/pepper
oregano
rosemary
paprika
1-2 cloves garlic
*sliced onion, pepper
Preheat oven to 400F
On lined cookie sheet toss chickpeas with olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings as desired
*I toyed with the idea of roasting the onions and peppers with the chickpeas and opted not to this time, but probably will try it next time
Roast for 15-20 min, until slightly crisp/crunchy

Serve with kalamata olives, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, sliced red pepper and FETA!!
I added crudites on the side to dip in the tzatziki


Fresh fruit on the side. Voila!
Dinner could seriously be done in under 30 min and be healthy!

No comments: