Sunday, August 24, 2008

I FIGURED IT OUT!!


I have always loved, loved, loved fresh bread. As a child I thought soft white bread was dessert. Later, after finishing college I thought with all my extra time I'd figure out how to make bread...only I somehow managed to only make bricks of flour concoctions. BUT, after watching Douglas make bread several times I have finally gotten the guts to try again. Yesterday I was CRAVING some cinnamon raisin swirl bread--and I DID IT! I was so excited because not only did it taste good but it looked perfect! So I was a little proud of myself. Yay! Try it out, it's not too difficult I promise. (and I halved the recipe and it still makes 2 loaves)


Cinnamon Swirl Bread

1 1/2 c milk

1 c warm water (110 degrees F--warm tap water is FINE)

2 packets active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)

3 eggs

1/2 c white sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 c butter softened (I used 1/2 c applesauce)

1 c raisins

8 c all-purpose flour (I used 4 c wheat flour, 4 c all purpose)

2 Tbsp milk

3/4 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar (I added this in and decreased the white sugar accordingly)

2 Tbsp cinnamon

2 Tbsp butter, melted


1. Microwave 1 1/2 c milk for 1-2 min until it's warm and smells funny, set aside to cool

2. Dissolve yeast in warm water until frothy, set aside for 5 min

3. In large bowl mix eggs, sugar (1/2 c), 1/2 c butter, salt and raisins, and yeast water stuff.

4. Gradually mix in cooled milk

5. Slowly mix in flour until it's all mixed in and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, may need a few extra dashes of flour.

6. Set back in big bowl (grease the sides a little) and cover with towel, allow to rise about 1-2 hours, until it doubles in size

7. Punch it down and roll out on a lightly greased and floured surface until it's 1/2 in thick and in a large rectanglular shape.

8. In smaller bowl mix together white sugar (3/4 c), brown sugar (optional) and cinnamon

9. Sprinkle rolled out dough with 2 Tbsp milk and then cover it with the cinnamon.sugar mixture

10. roll up tightly from longer end and cut into thirds, place into 3 separate greased bread pans and cover. Allow to rise for approx 1-2 hours, (I sprinkled the tops with some melted butter and cinnamon, sugar)

11. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 min or until brown on top and sounds hollow when thumped on top.

12. Remove from pans, cool and slice...

It's yummy stuff!

1 comment:

MommaG said...

Beautiful bread, Boo Bear! (How's that for a little Monday morning alliteration.) Does it taste as good as it looks?