Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What's cooking? Here's what new on our plates

So, yeah, it's been a little bit. BUT, I have been trying to find new things that aren't major productions, but that don't sacrifice quality and nutrition. I actually have a few recipes to share with ya'll...those 1.3 of you still reading this.
What's on our current 10-day menu?
1. Swiss Chard and onion Frittata! This has very simple ingredients and comes together rather quickly. The bonus, it mixes in some greens. Add a side of fresh fruit, some pan-seared tomatoes with feta on top and you have yourself a perfect meal. We've had this one twice now, both times husband commented on how flavorful it is and the major win...all 3 kids gobbled it all up! I did toss in bit of deli ham both times, literally 1 slice last time. It's just enough to add a little more flavor.

2. Basil Pesto Chicken Bake. 3 ingredients. 45 min. Dinner is done. And it's like the comfort food you crave. I'd say throw on some pasta and a side salad...you're done. I used jarred pesto. This is actually a Pinterest find and I could not believe I'd never thought to do this!! It's so easy, obvious and delicious. It takes about 5 minutes to put it together, throw it in the oven and go deal with something else for 30 min or so. It was another hit with the kids.

3. Teriyaki Glazed Baked Chicken. Another Pinterest find. Guaranteed, you have all the ingredients necessary for this one right now. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare the glaze, then you douse the chicken in it, toss it into the oven and carry on with your life. I served ours with black rice, steamed broccoli and oven-roasted carrots and cauliflower. Fresh mango on the side. Husband rated it 4/5, kids rated it 3/5, I would give it 4.5/5. It wasn't like the most amazing asian dish ever, BUT it was very simple and had plenty of flavor. I liked the sauce with my veggies and rice, too.

4. Fig-glazed chicken panini with pear and brie. K, so this one is a little more time consuming and requires some odd ingredients, might want to use rotisserie chicken. I found fig preserves at Walmart. Pulled the kale from our garden (we have lacinato growing out back, I rarely can find it in the grocery store and I do think it tastes better than regular kale--but regular certainly would still work) . Used sourdough loaf from Publix. Didn't panini them, just put them all assembled on a cookie sheet into the oven long enough to warm the cheese. They tasted super! Everyone ate it well. Served it with peas, fresh strawberries and pineapple, oven-roasted sweet potato wedges.

We will be trying these out over the next week...
5. Pineapple pork tenderloin I couldn't find the right carribean seasoning, so I will probably mix my own.

6. Crispy Chicken Cutlets with butter and chive noodles

7. Sausage, Cannellini and tomato ragout  I bought regular italian sausage not hot...my kids don't do spicy at all

8. Thai Cashew Chicken Salad...another pinterest find. We'll see how it goes. reminds me some of my Thai spaghetti salad.

And I might try this one out for myself...

And this weekend...these will be happening up in this kitchen!!

No comments: